Vibrant curry cashew chickpea quinoa salad packed with veggies and delicious flavor from curry powder, fresh ginger, turmeric and sweet and spicy maple glazed cashews. This wonderful vegan curry chickpea quinoa salad is easy to make for the perfect main meal or healthy side dish!
For the quinoa:
- ¾ cup quinoa
- 1 2/3 cup water
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ¾ cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil (or sub olive oil)
- ½ tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon curry powder, plus more if you want a really big curry punch!
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
For the mix-ins:
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- ½ cup shredded carrots (from 1 large carrot)
- ½ cup dried cherries (or dried cranberries)
- ¼ cup finely diced red onion
- 1/3 cup finely diced cilantro
- 1/3 cup finely diced flat leaf parsley
For the maple cayenne toasted cashews:
- 3/4 cup raw cashews
- ½ tablespoon pure maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Add in quinoa and water to a medium pot and bring mixture to a boil, then cover, reduce heat to low and cook for exactly 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, remove from heat and fluff quinoa with a fork, then replace lid and allow quinoa to steam for 5-10 more minutes. While quinoa is cooking you can chop all your veggies.
- Once quinoa is done cooking, stir in chickpeas, peas, sesame oil, ginger, curry powder, turmeric, garlic powder, salt and black pepper.
- Next stir in red bell pepper, shredded carrots, dried cherries, red onion, cilantro and parsley.
- Finally make your maple cayenne toasted cashews: place cashews in a skillet over medium heat. Toast cashews for 4-6 minutes, stirring frequently until they turn slightly golden brown and fragrant, then turn off heat and immediately add in maple syrup, cayenne pepper and sea salt. Stir for 30 more seconds to coat cashews, then transfer to a plate or piece of parchment paper to cool for a few minutes. Cashews may stick together so try to spread them in an even layer when they are cooling.
- Top quinoa with cashews and serve! Serves 4 for a main meal or 6 as a side. I suggest waiting to add cashews until you are ready to serve so they stay nice and crunchy.
Servings: 4 servings
Serving size: 1 serving (based on 4)
Saturated fat: 2g