6 Amazing Facts About Pistachios
1. Nutrition - with over 30 vitamins, minerals & phytonutrients (USDA), they are rich in magnesium, thiamin, phosphorus, vitamin B6, copper, and manganese.
2. The Pistachio is known as the "Smiling Nut" in Iran, the "Green Almond" and the "Happy Nut".
3. Pistachios are a symbol of health, happiness & good fortune and are often given as a gift through the Chinese New Year period.
4. Producers - the largest producer of Pistachios is Iran (about half of all production), followed by the USA where 98% of its production is in California.
5. Related - a member of the cashew family, pistachios are related to mangos (see picture below) as well as the spice sumac.
6. Old - Pistachios are considered one of the oldest flowering nut trees and are referenced through history in the Bible (Genesis 43:11), the fabled Hanging Gardens of Babylon built by King Nebuchadnnezzar for his wife Amytis and by the Queen of Sheba.